Each Chakra is directly linked to your mental, physical and spiritual attributes. By understanding each Chakra and how to keep the energy flowing freely, you can achieve harmony within yourself.
Located at the base of the spine, the Root Chakra, also called the Base Chakra and Muladhara (Hindu), grounds you, influences your survival instincts, gives you a strong foundation and connects you to the physical world.
- Color: main – red, other colors – brown, black and gray
- Element: earth
- Sound: C/Oohm
- Identity: physical
- Sense: smell
- Body functions: elimination and sex drive
- Organs: large intestines, immune system and all reproductive organs
- Developmental stage: womb to 12 months
- Incense: cedar
- Herb: sage
Why Is a Balanced Root Chakra Important?
When the Root Chakra is in balance, you feel secure, safe and stable in your life. You let go of fear easily and worry less. Your connection with your physical body, environment and the Earth is strong, which allows you to harness courage and be resourceful. You know your place in the world and work with the world, not against it.
How Do I Know If My Root Chakra Is Out of Balance?
Your Root Chakra can be under- or overactive, which causes it to be out of balance. Review the lists below to see if your Root Chakra is imbalanced:
Underactive Root Chakra:
- Neglecting yourself
- Poor discipline, setting of boundaries
- Underweight, not hungry or able to eat
- Insecure, anxious and nervous
- Lack of energy and lethargic
- Disconnected/not feeling you belong
- Lack of sex drive
- Overeating and unhealthy food cravings
- Fear and/or paranoia
- Addition to adrenaline activities
- Hoarding and material fixation
- Aggression and anger
- Need to be in control, dominate
- Over active sex drive
- Lower back, hip, leg, knee and/or feet pain
- Rectal/anal problems
- Frequent illness
- Prostate problems for men
- Bladder and/or kidney issues
- Frequent illness
How Do I Balance (Open) My Root Chakra?
- As you inhale, contract the muscles between your anus and genitals inward, and relax these muscles as you exhale. Do this a few minutes daily. This exercise can be done while sitting, standing or walking.
- Walking – as you walk concentrate on your feet connecting with the earth and feel your connection with your surroundings. Walk barefoot when possible.
- Dance – turn up your favorite tunes and let your body move with the music as you feel the vibrations within your body.
- Yoga poses – mountain, warrior, bridge
Meditation: Helps to ground you, gives feeling of safety, connects you to your higher self and provides a sense of peace and stability. As you meditate focus on the tip of your nose to help align the Root Chakra. It is also best if you sit on the floor to feel your connection with the earth.
Chanting/Tonal Sounds: The sound vibrations help the cells work together in harmony, and the Root Chakra harmonizes with the C note. The mantra sound for the Root Chakra is LAM – see the video below. These techniques can be incorporated into your meditation.
Gemstones: Lie down and place gemstones on the area of the Root Chakra for 15 minutes to help realign the Chakra. Garnet, Red Jasper, Ruby, Bloodstone, Hematite or Agate for underactive Root Chakra, and Black Tourmaline, Smoky Quartz, Onyx, Obsidian and Emerald when the Root Chakra is overactive. You can use one or many types of gemstones during this process.
Aromas, Herbs and Essencial Oils: Basil, cedarwood, cilantro, ginger, myrrh, patchouli, rosemary, sandalwood and/or white fir can be sniffed, diffused or applied to your skin (dilute when necessary) daily. You can also burn cedar incense or sage.
Color Therapy: Focus on a lit red candle, wear red cloths and paint your finger and/or toe nails red to activate your Root Chakra energy.
Food: Eat red food like red apples, strawberries, red cabbage, beets and tomatoes. Other foods to eat include ginger, root vegetables like potatoes and carrots and high protein foods such as eggs, meat, nuts, tofu and beans.
Need help balancing your Root Chakra? Call Seeds of Wellness to schedule a Reiki session with Lynne or Brenda. Also go to our Events webpage to see when Greg Kendzior can balance your Root Chakra and other Chakras using massage therapy and/or tuning forks.
Learn more about meditation, by attending our Monthly Meditation Group. Call to learn more.